Saturday, April 20, 2019

National Poetry Month - Day 20

And now for our optional prompt! Today, I’d like to challenge you to write a poem that “talks.” What does that mean? Well, take a look at this poem by Diane Seuss. While it isn’t a monologue, it’s largely based in spoken language, interspersed with the speaker/narrator’s own responses and thoughts. Try to write a poem grounded in language as it is spoken – not necessarily the grand, dramatic speech of a monologue or play, but the messy, fractured, slangy way people speak in real life. You might incorporate overheard speech or a turn of phrase you heard once that stood out to you – the idea here is to get away from formally “poetic” speech and into the way language tends to work out loud.
Happy writing!



Bits and Peices of Streets and People
Hey soul sista,
I overheard you say there's a party going on over there.
I almost wore my house slippers to the store, making it impossible to cut a rug. I can rip it up now, my favorite flats used to have thin straps across the top, I broke one then cut the other off, the shoes feel better now. 
I wanna dance to loud music all night long.
He is just a baby but he could feel the tension between Mommy and Daddy. I hope we eat soon, he thought.
Best friends laugh together so loud and hard. Faces red. Bellies aching. The laughter lasted a long time. Both friends have forgotten what was so funny in the first place. They laugh another few minutes anyway.
Laughter is contagious.
The man asking passerbys for money smelled of raw onions, rotten fish, burnt plastic, and Toe jam. He began to laugh too. Belly empty, feet blistered and bloody. Hair matted. Black dirt from head to toe.
What does the beggar have to laugh about?
Laughter was the last sound before falling into a deep sleep.
Nights like this I wish you were here with me to hold me close and discuss religion.
God bless us all.
"Life Sucks and is so Beautiful." - Warner Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment